Visit The Autism Center
The Autism Center at Children’s Hospital provides comprehensive diagnostic evaluations and evidence-based treatment for children with suspected or confirmed Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Although clinical care is the primary mission of The Autism Center at Children’s Hospital, the center also serves as a training facility for providers and engages in innovative research endeavors.
The Autism Center is located at 210 State Street Building 11 New Orleans, LA 70118.
What is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
Autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills and communication and, repetitive behaviors, interests or activities.
We know that there is not one autism but many subtypes, most influenced by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Because autism is a spectrum disorder, each person with autism has a distinct set of strengths and challenges.
Our team includes:
Licensed psychologists, post doctoral fellows, behavioral pediatrician, and psychometrists.
Services Provided at The Autism Center
We provide many different services to help the children and adolescents in New Orleans and beyond once they have been diagnosed with ASD because there are no two cases the same. We understand this is a life-altering diagnosis. We have prepared our staff to help in any way necessary and provide the family with all the information needed while at home in between visits to our Center. Services we offer include:
Comprehensive Diagnostic Evaluations
- For children and adolescents 18 months to 21 years of age
- Provided by licensed Psychologists and postdoctoral fellows under supervision
- Provider Referral Guide
Short-Term, Focused Family Consultation
- For parents and caregivers to learn how to support and encourage their child’s development using Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) methods in an outpatient therapy format
- Sessions occur once per week for 8 to 12 weeks
- Our team will work with the caregiver to determine the focus of treatment, makes recommendations for changes week to week, and monitors progress with the caregiver
- Consultation may focus on a variety of topics including teaching talking and play skills, managing challenging behavior, working on important life skills (e.g., toileting, feeding), and decreasing anxiety
- Documentation of ASD diagnosis required
- Advanced registration is required/Insurance accepted
Children’s Hospital New Orleans Behavioral Health Center Is Here for the Children of Louisiana
When kids struggle with mental health issues, it can take over their lives. The Behavioral Health Center at Children’s Hospital New Orleans provides the resources and expertise needed to help children and adolescents throughout the Gulf South get their lives back, so they can get back to being kids again.